Monday 24 September 2018

S22 Ep.22: Cyclone Thomas

THESE ARE SOLEY MY OPINIONS AND ARE NOT INFLUENCED FROM THE THOMAS & FRIENDS FANBASE

CYCLONE THOMAS
Written by
Tim Bain

Directed by
Dianna Basso

Produced by
Micaela Winter

Air Date
24/09/18

Plot
Thomas wants to be just like Ruby, a Flying Doctor's plane, who transports Dr Claire to remote places where it's hard for patients to get to hospitals or doctors for treatment.

---


Now that India and China are now out of the way, we are now at the second Australian episode and once again it was great, not being bias here because I'm from Australia. I quite like this episode more than 'Outback Thomas' as this one has more action and conflict. We got to see Isla in action for the first time and see that she takes her job seriously by transporting Dr. Claire to her patients. I do like the cyclone scene, it really felt intense and it had an 'Edward's Exploit' vibe towards it in my opinion with Thomas doing something that Isla can't. Plus I like the cyclone bit, as a way of educating kids overseas about Australia, considering that here in Australia, particualry up the northern part of the country, cyclones can happen. The worst one that Australia faced was back in 1974 known as Cyclone Tracy, which had hit Darwin around Christmas eve and day.

Some people said that Thomas acted irresponsible for pretending to be a doctor, while I do understand that I feel that if Thomas should know that by now then what is the point of him learning? To me Thomas relates to a young kid wanting to be something that they're not and kids soon learnt that they should be happy for being who they are. To me it works and plus Isla told Thomas to leave it for the medical professionals, implying the lesson to kids that being a doctor is something serious. But yeah Thomas should've been thinking about it in the end, like many kids should do in real life as impersonating a doctor is a bad cause.

Some people might also say that the episode is 'Thomas And The Jet Plane' but in CGI and while I can see what they are saying, but in my opinion, would younger fans, kids, the target range would know of that episode's existence? We are living in a world that most of the target range don't know or are even interested in the model era of the show, I mean look at the reviews on some classic series DVDs on Amazon US by parents. I bet there are some who do watch the model era but I doubt that they are a majority. Plus Jeremy in that episode is more like Harold the Helicopter but as a plane. A cocky vehicle that bags out in the railway whereas Isla takes her job seriously.

One thing that I like from this episode is Rachel Miller's Australian accent, it sounds almost authentic and not like a cheap cringy version of it like you hear from the likes of 'The Simpsons', seriously how hard is it to find an actual Australian actor for the show? Their VA's done a terrible job! Another that I like from Jam Filled was the station that Thomas went to when they were in the eye of cyclone. The station was almost authentic too with the lower platforms. Station's like Alice Springs had them, so it's nice to see that.

So while yes I can see what some are saying, but the episode just showcased some strong characters and a good plot that it doesn't really bother me in the end. 


Episode Rating

Series Rating (So far):
168/220