Thursday 20 September 2018

S22 Ep.18: Seeing Is Believing

THESE ARE SOLEY MY OPINIONS AND ARE NOT INFLUENCED FROM THE THOMAS & FRIENDS FANBASE

SEEING IS BELIEVING 
Written by
Andrew Brenner

Directed by
Dianna Basso

Produced by
Micaela Winter

Air Date
20/09/18

Plot
Merlin comes to Sodor from the Mainland for the first time. He thinks that when he shuts his eyes nobody can see him. Percy hears everyone talking about the 'invisible' engine and wonders why he hasn't seen him. But how can you see an engine that's invisible?


I'll say this, the ending towards this episode felt a little rushed but I kinda liked it that it captures a bit of Percy's naive side, as he was in the past. I don't see that as Brenner's fault I see it as the limited timing being the fault. I thought he might of met Merlin and saw that he wasn't invisible and Thomas told him about it and Percy just accepts it. But despite that it didn't really hurt my enjoyment for this episode. I was looking forward to this episode and I think this was better than Brenner's other script, 'Forever and Ever'. I like the use of other characters too like Trevor. Nice to see he wasn't neglected.

Percy was great in the episode and it was nice to see him being more determined rather than him being reverted back to his scaredy engine persona that he was given back in the 2017 special. 

What was the main highlight for me from this episode is that Hugh Bonneville came back as Merlin. His voice work for the character was one of the great things about him with jovial attitude, you can tell Bonneville had a great time voicing him and I'm so glad he was not replace by someone else trying to bring that same jovial attitude to his character. I hope maybe in future we see other characters from JBS like Theo, Lexie, Hurricane, Frankie and Beresford too. Although for the latter it would have to be on the mainland.

In the end, it was fun episode with great characterisation despite the ending feeling a bit rushed. 


Episode Rating

Series Rating (So far):
160/180