Tuesday 4 September 2018

S22 Ep.2: Forever and Ever

THESE ARE SOLEY MY OPINIONS AND ARE NOT INFLUENCED FROM THE THOMAS & FRIENDS FANBASE

FOREVER AND EVER
Written by
Andrew Brenner

Directed by
Dianna Basso

Produced by
Micaela Winter (HIT/Mattel)

Air Date
4/09/18

Plot
Gordon is so upset about Sir Topham Hatt's decision to move Edward and Henry out of the sheds that he makes his own changes in protest. Sent back to his shed in disgrace, Gordon insists that he's happy to stay there forever, but his new friend Nia, the steam engine from Kenya, helps him to take a fresh look at the situation. 

---
So we got a sequel to 'A Shed for Edward' and I thought it was much better than the season opener. I feel like this should've been the first episode of S22 as it paves the way from the S21 finale. I will admit there were some flaws like Henry not having a reason on why he's going to Vicarstown, but I hope that'll be explored later on as the series progresses, but I think a few seconds on why he's moving could've been placed. I know we aren't going to get a Henry episode but maybe we might be a mention from either him or from Thomas in a different episode. I think the time limit is something to thank for that.

Gordon's tantrum after finding out that Henry is staying at Vicarstown is something I had a laugh at, as the newley revamped series is to have an increase in humour, although some fans in their respects see this as the older fanbase having a whinge and a moan about these changes, although it couldn't be a metaphor considering that the episode's would've been written and placed in production a year in advance, well before 'A Shed for Edward' had aired. Some people can go at big lengths on not dealing with changes such as the autistic community as it can become stressful as their lives are based on ritual and once when some changes it doesn't go well for them. Plus some have been saying that Gordon was out of character with him dealing with change when really he was always resistance when it comes to the subject, he was like with diesels back in the early days and despite being one of my most hated episodes, he was also like this in 'Edward Strikes Out' with Rocky. Plus he was like this in 'Henry Gets the Express' when he feared that Henry might take the express from then on.   

The dream sequence I think was fun but it felt but a little long compare to Thomas' in the season opener and it felt more like an merchandise commercial for the upcoming Glow-in-the Dark Trackmaster set that's coming out soon. Nia's message in the end though I felt was the icing on the cake, despite that I was hoping more from her, but maybe because I was still thinking of the longer running time like last season. But her moral of the episode still stands, change is hard to get use too, but despite that and no matter how the long distance is we are still friends near and far, although some think it was Nia saying 'I have it worse!' although I don't see that. She was feeling empathetic towards Gordon because she knows what it was like when it comes to the concpet of change. Nia's dealing is something that immagrants have to face with when it comes to it such being in a new country, being in a new place of work or study and trying to make new friends. It's hard but it takes time but we will get use to it.

The ending with Gordon freaking out over the hint of Rebecca's arrival is something I don't see as off putting, Gordon is still processing the concpet of change. He does understand it but he hasn't accept it yet. Although Thomas' teasing at the end is something that I find to be a little off. Perhaps Thomas should've said, 'I think it'll take sometime for Gordon to accept change, even if he does understand it.'

Could the episode be a bit better, it could but Henry's non explanation or the long running time of Gordon's fantasy sequence didn't turn the episode down for me. I pretty much enjoyed this episode and its moral I felt was handled fine. 


Episode Rating:
Number One Engine - 8/10
Forever And Ever - 8.5/10

Series Overall (So far):
16.5/20