Wednesday 28 March 2012

DVD REVIEW: Up Up and Away!

Thomas & Friends
Up, Up & Away 

Written by Sharon Miller
Directed by Greg Tiernan 
Produced by Nicole Stinn

Release date:
19/03/12


Episodes:
- Up, Up and Away
- Wonky Whistle
- Kevin The Steamie
- Emily and Dash


THESE ARE SOLEY MY OWN OPINIONS AND NOT FROM THE THOMAS & FRIENDS FAN BASE OR FROM PEOPLE WHO'VE BOUGHT THIS PRODUCT.

Well, we sat through it when the series was on air in early 2011 and now we witness them again now on DVD. Now before judging, I've only bought the DVD because of the special features and the animation of the show. The writing of the fifthteenth series is were I agree with many fans, terrible. 'Up, Up and Away' and 'Wonky Whistle' are the only two episodes that I don't like. 'Wonky Whistle' is a rarity for me as that is the episode I hate with a passion and its rare for me that I hate one Thomas episode because of bad writing.
I will be discussing these episodes in some coming months in my series 15 review and they won't be pretty, especially the first two episodes on this DVD. However, the special features are enjoyable.

First off is 'Down at The Station' where we see real steam locomotives from a real heritage railway. This time we see the fireman and his duties. I like these segments, they are worth watching and can teach children about different kinds of jobs on a railway. The other special feature is the 'Guess Who'. These are good for children as the character are really noticeable.  

The Mr. Perkins segements are enjoyable to watch and he teaches in one segment on how to grow vegetables and brings some comic relief for the young ones.

Ratings:
EPISODES:
1/5


SPECIAL FEATURES:
4/5

Children at the target age group will enjoy this DVD, but not to the older Thomas fans. If you don't like these poorly written episodes, don't buy it. I know there are four episodes on this DVD, but like I said before, the quality of animation and the special features are the only reason why I buy these.