Wednesday 15 August 2012

S1 Ep.15: Tenders and Turntables

THESE ARE SOLEY MY OPINION AND NOT FROM THE THOMAS & FRIENDS FAN BASE

TENDERS AND TURNTABLES

Adapted for Television by
Britt Allcroft, David Mitton & Robert Cardona

Originally Written by
The Rev.W.Awdry

Air Date:
21/10/84

Plot:
With Thomas running his branch line, life is harder in the yards on the main line. The big engines have to fetch their own coaches. One day, it was windy and Gordon was placed out of balance on the turntable and it won't move. So Gordon has to take his next train backwards and James and Thomas teased him. At the yards, James was on the turntable and he spun round like a top. Afterwards the big engines decided to go on strike. 

PRO:
- Educating kids about the differences between a tender and tank engine for a turntable.

CON:
N/A


I remember back when I was young, I never knew what Ringo meant about tank engines not needing turntables. But as I got older and watching this episode many time I realised what he meant. Tenders block the view for the driver and the engine needed a turntable so they can see for the return journey. With Thomas being a tank engine, the driver and fireman can see clearly as there is no tender blocking the view. 

For the episode, it was not bad really, but I just think, why can't Britt Allcroft keep the series in Railway Series order. I understand, as I said a million times, the TV series were in the early stages due to the budget, but it would be nice to see it RWS order as it will make sense. What I'm referring to is that with the strike the big engines were having, there was never a reason why Henry was part of this as in the book 'Troublesome Engines', Henry had an embarrassing moment with an elephant and that's where the three big engines had gone on strike. It's a shame, but I do think the reason why is because of budget issues, maybe they can't afford material to make an elephant. But at least we get the episode in the next two seasons. 

The episode is good, I enjoy watching it many times. 

Rating: 4/5