Monday 6 February 2023

All Engines Go! Review - S1 Ep.1: A Thomas Promise

 Yes I know that I had said back in 2021 that I won't be reviewing the 'All Engines Go!' series and had badmouthed it here when it made its world premiere in Mexico. But like the show, things change. I decided to review these episodes, despite not being such a big fan of it all, in a fair and non-biased sort of way since I had been hearing more good things about it from people who hated it at first but gradually started to enjoy it. If I see an episode that is good I'll say that it's good and if an episode is bad I'll say it's bad. Unlike my other episode reviews which were posted after its intial airing in whatever country, I'll be reviewing these episodes once all of them are released instead. With all that out of the way, let's take a look at the history that led to 'All Engines Go!'

In 2020, Mattel had paterened up with Canadian animation studio Nelvana, the creators of other classic shows like Babar, Little Bear, the Magic School Bus and more to create 'All Engines Go!' since 'Big World Big Adventures' wasn't meeting Mattel's expectations. The new show was given a new art style, which hadn't happened to Thomas since its transformation to full CGI in 2009, which is traditional 2D animation to allow a more flexable Thomas unlike what he was on screen from 1984-2020. So instead of being a conventional steam locomotive, Thomas and his friends now have the freedom to jump around, turn 360 degree, strecth, deform themselves and use their wheels as hands.

So with all that out of the way, let's take a look at the first season of 'All Engines Go!'  but is it a new start to the show? Or is it really another blunder of Mattel's thinking? Let's find out. But first:

THESE ARE MY OWN OPINIONS AND ARE NOT INFLUENCED FROM THE THOMAS & FRIENDS FANBASE

 A THOMAS PROMISE

Written by
Rick Suvalle

Directed by
Jason Groah 

Produced by
Rick Suvalle
Suzie Gallo

Air Date
23/08/21 - Mex
13/09/21 - USA
18/09/21 - Can
8/11/21 - UK
3/01/22 - AUS

Plot
After accidentally derailing Gordon, Thomas makes a promise to deliver his cargo to Whiff's Recycling Plant - while racing with Diesel to get there first.

MY VIEWS

I'll get this out of the way, I really don't like how Thomas and Diesel were shocked that they had been sent him down the wrong line when they have the power to jump off the rails, I mean Thomas did that as soon as he saw Kana coming down the same track. It's just a bit inconsistent for the sake of the plot but I can see that it worked for the sake of it. 

While the story is pretty generic it did give off the message that despite Thomas being competitive still made a promise to Gordon for delivering his cargo to Whiff's recycling plant. Something that kids can understand and learn from. 

I was watching the American dub of the show while reviewing it since it's so limited to find UK dubbed episodes here in Australia. ABC Australia airs them and have them on their iview app but it's rotational and I don't know if the show is on any streaming app, I know Netflix Australia doesn't have it. Plus barely any DVD of the episodes had been released minus the Sodor Cup special and even that is hardly for sale anymore here and that was released, as of writing this review in 2022, back in April! 

But I had seen some episodes in its UK dub form and honestly the North American dub sounds alot more better since some voices sound more better, this isn't to say that the UK actors were bad but I feel that there was some energy and talking of voice actors I am surprised to see that Neil Crone had reprised his role as Gordon since Thomas & the Magic Railroad, I still despise that movie. But I do like his voice in the show and considering that his voice had aged as well, he kinda gives Gordon a very calm but authorative kind of voice as well. 

The song 'I'm Gonna Chug, I'm Gonna Choo' is pretty forgettable. You might know some of the words but would probably forget about it much later.

I think the episode is alright but not great.

Series Rating:
A Thomas Promise - 4/10

Overall rating (So far):
4/10