Wednesday 11 March 2020

Classic Series Review Revisited - Series 1 (1984)

You probably remember back in 2012-2013 I had made episode reviews of all Thomas & Friends episodes between S1-16 and when I looked back at them over the years, I just can't help but look at them with some form of cringe. Most my reviews were picked up from other viewers and most of the time they were really nitpicks. For those young enough to remember, there was a time that the show having a lack of brake vans at the end of any goods trains was considered as a controversy(!) Anyway I feel that it's time to look back at these episodes with something a bit constructive. So welcome to my 'Classic Series Review Revisited', each week I'll be reviewing all of the classic series seasons (1-7). I won't be looking at episodes beyond S8-16 because I tend to hold those views from then and I really don't want to sit through them again, Season 8 is still underrated in my opinion. But anyway, here's the usual warning:

THESE ARE SOLEY MY OPINIONS AND ARE NOT INFLUENCED FROM THE THOMAS & FRIENDS FANBASE

SERIES 1 (1984)


Originally Written by
Rev.W.Awdry

Adapted by
Britt Allcroft
David Mitton
Robert D. Cardona

Back in this blog's early days, I had reviewed each episode individually. But because of wanting to review other things like DVDs, newly released episodes or specials or some other stuff, I'm going to review the episodes in an entire post. 


THOMAS & GORDON


There was really nothing wrong with the first episode. The story was a bit faithful to the original that was written in 1946 with some changes to the dialogue. However it's an adaptation and I think it's good to make these little changes in order to make itself look different. Overall, the episode was a strong opener.

Rating: 10/10


EDWARD & GORDON

Start off with a bit of a nitpick but I think there was no need for Thomas to be at the start. It could've still worked with just Henry, Gordon and James. Back to the episode, I think I can see why they'd merged the first two stories into one episode. Sure it might've been done to fulfil the 26 episode order for the broadcaster, but when you look at the first original story ('Edward's Day Out') that took place in the first half of the episode, the story was pretty barebones in my opinion. All it just was was Edward coming out of his shed and that's it. Not that I'm saying that the original story was bad, it's a lovely little story, but it just can't stand on its own. There was a bit of conflict at the end with Gordon rushing down the hill with his trucks leaving Edward behind showcasing the contrast between them, with I think worked in the merger. However this episode was a nice introduction to Edward and see what his job is in the yards.

Rating: 8/10


THE SAD STORY OF HENRY

The infamous episode pointed out by today's 'top quality journalists' who think that this episode showcases communist undertones because the Fat Controller bricked him up in the tunnel as if he's a brutal dictator. It's a good thing that Awdry didn't end this story in the first book as originally intended then. When I look at this episode, all I see is the Fat Controller as an authoritative figure who's in charge of the railway like a parent who look out for their children. Sure the punishment was a bit extreme but Awdry always said that his engines do act like children and if you look at the punishment, Henry's one is like a child being sent to their room because they would be disobeying their peers. Which in Henry's case, he's not listening to the Fat Controller because he was putting himself over others. All he cared about was his green paint not what his passengers want which makes him look more arrogant, in any case Henry was no victim in this episode and deserves the punishment because he wasn't doing what he was told to do. Speaking of the the wall scene, I like how the footage was keeping to time with the music. This episode was another good introduction to Henry and his personality.

Rating: 9/10

EDWARD, GORDON & HENRY

We now come to the episode that the so called journalists ignore when it comes to their Henry argument. It's a nice conclusion to the Edward, Gordon and Henry trilogy and Henry learnt his lesson about dealing with rain. Plus this episode proves that the Fat Controller while strict is definitely caring towards his engines. I mean he let Henry out of the tunnel because he knows he's strong enough to pull the express train.

Rating: 8/10


THOMAS' TRAIN

The whole was still faithful to the original story like the others and that's it really. Like 'Thomas & Gordon', the story was strong and it teaches the value of being patient and not to get overexcited. I think this can make Thomas feel more relatable towards kids who are like that.

Rating: 10/10


THOMAS AND THE TRUCKS

Another strong Thomas episode teaching kids that we shouldn't act like we know it all. I think 'The Adventure Begins' had elaborate more on Thomas' overexcitement and brushing off advice from Edward there than in the episode but of course that's unfair to compare considering that the episode has to fill in a four minute time limit. But both are great in their own right. Plus the jazzy Thomas theme is probably one of the best things about this episode.

Rating: 10/10

THOMAS AND THE BREAKDOWN TRAIN

We now come to the conclusion of Thomas' story and we do see some growth here. Thomas had come from this cheeky little engine who plays tricks on the bigger engines to a more helpful and useful engine after rescuing James from his accident.

Rating: 10/10

JAMES AND THE COACHES
I think the title could've been changed because the first half of the story didn't really have any relation to the second half. The former was more about James ruining the Fat Controller's new top hat with his shower of water. The only thing I think the first half relates to the second half is the express coaches telling James off when he and Edward left the big station. I think maybe they could've kept the two episodes serperate instead. There was no need for it to merge but I think with a 26 episode limit it had to be done. Maybe they could've gone for a title change that gives relation to both plots, like they did with 'Whistles & Sneezes'. As for the story, it was good showcasing James' imaptience and how he needs to control it. Which is something kids can relate too.

Rating: 8/10

TROUBLESOME TRUCKS

This episode was another good and you kinda see some growth in James. He was punished because he was foolish with some coaches and you can see how sorry he looked and how he wants to make things right. It was another good story and I see no fault with it.

Rating: 10/10

JAMES AND THE EXPRESS

Another great conclusion and some good character development coming from James. We see him coming across as a hard worker with a bit of cheek following Gordon's mishap. We see the coaches appreciating him with the way he was pulling them.

Rating: 10/10

THOMAS AND THE GUARD

Years ago, I was never really fond of the stories from 'Tank Engine Thomas Again'. I didn't hate them I just wasn't interested in the book until I began to develop the interest in it when I was reading it over and over again and I think it's one of the best books in the series. I love how Thomas was arrogant and boastful here now that he was rewarded with his very own branch line. But he has a lot to learn and this story is one of them with his being impatient because he wants to be on time despite Henry's illness. It's nice simple message that patience is a virtue and rushing about can lead to trouble.

Rating: 10/10

THOMAS GOES FISHING

A memorable story in my opinion and one example of Awdry's statement about Thomas being the inner-child. He wants to do something, which is fishing, and the engines tell him that he can't do it and he found why by doing it, which was him having a fish in his tank blocking his feed pipe. It brings out a good message about being careful what you wish for and Thomas had to learn that the hard way.

Rating: 10/10

THOMAS, TERENCE AND THE SNOW

Once again, another great story and with a great message on how not to make fun of someone else's looks because you never know they might come in handy one day. It was a great message and something that still stands today.

Rating: 10/10

THOMAS AND BERTIE

Another memorable story and a fun one too. I do like the little development between Thomas and Bertie who started out as rivals and then became friends. It reminds me of one lyric in the Japanese opening of Pokemon, 'Aim to Be a Pokemon Master'; "An enemy yesterday is a friend today" which I think was the message of the story.

Rating: 10/10

TENDERS AND TURNTABLES

This might be a bit of a nitpick but I think instead of Thomas teasing Gordon maybe James could've been the character that teased Gordon over his misfortunes. I think the scene between Gordon and Thomas could've been him and James instead and have James as the cheeky engine of the main line now with Thomas gone and doesn't take him seriously and the words from Gordon that he told to Thomas could work with James in my opinion. I think it could've worked with James suffering from the conflict after his teasing and it could've nailed the moral that we shouldn't tease other's misfortunes because it will happen to us, in short, karma. The original story is good but maybe it could've been a little bit better. But it wasn't too bad.

Rating: 6/10

TROUBLE IN THE SHED

I personally don't know if the term 'black-legging' is still relevant in this century. However without any context surrounding it, it could come off as something racist. However the term is the British equal to the slang 'scab' when it comes to protesting for workers rights which is why the big engines said to Edward that he had 'black wheels' because he was working while they were protesting and I can see why they'd changed it over in the US because of cultural difference and it could come out the wrong way if they had kept in over there, got nothing to do with political correctness, considering that's the blame for anything from some people. But the engines slagging off Edward for working while they were protesting is kind of a contradiction for the big engines when they were working as well. It gave us a good introduction of Percy and we got to know him well in the few minutes that he was in. However the story does have some contradictions when it comes to the big engines in the end. 

Rating: 6/10

PERCY RUNS AWAY

I like this story, we got to see more of Percy and his personality but we also see what can happen to him in bad situations when it comes to his cheekiness. It got a good message about behaviourism.

Rating: 10/10

COAL

I've always say that Henry wasn't an interesting character because he doesn't have any conflict and that he comes off as a green Gordon and James since and he and James and Gordon have the same personality traits in the early years. To me this is where he's interesting. He had an old shape which has done him poorly with his smaller firebox which makes him suffer. His conflict was his old shape causing him to be weak because of a small firebox that can't burn the normal coal that the other engines use. It was shown a few times during the season, but this is where it all ends. It's a nice little happy ending for Henry.

Rating: 10/10

THE FLYING KIPPER

I think this might come off as a bit controversial but I think this episode was a little overpraised. I get why it's praised, the setting is amazing, the music was top notch and Ringo's narration was good as well here too. But there was not much plot. Henry got his special coal and that's it and now he gets a rebuild because that's the only option now. I think what could've made this story better is to have Henry worry about what the Fat Controller might do to him. In the previous episode he was given new parts and he still couldn't work. Have the Fat Controller being up in the air about what to do with him, Welsh coal or rebuild, and Henry spent most of his time worrying about the outcome and not having him pay attention to line ahead. It would make the crash more impactful with having kids worry that with Henry now damaged and broken the only option could be scrap. The crash in what we got was just a crash. Look I don't hate the episode but I feel that both the original and its adaptation could've been a lot more better with its execution. As with Henry's new shape, I began to understand that there's budgeting and strict materials for the modellers over the years and I take it all back what I said in my original review in 2012. But at the end of it all, I think I can see why Rev.W.Awdry didn't bother with Henry with more stories until 1968. But please, don't get too influenced by this and use it as your own opinion.

Rating: 5/10

WHISTLES AND SNEEZES

I think this was another unnecessary merger. The two stories don't really have any relevance with each other, except with the ending and the message about karma but I feel that both of those stories could hold well on their own. What they should've merged was Thomas and Toby's stories that came after this. Both have relevance with each other with the Fat Controller buying Toby after Thomas' police situation. However despite that the episode was still good and I was amazed by the technique they'd used for Henry's face when he was sneezing. There was no jump cut in between shots it was just smooth sailing.

Rating: 8/10

TOBY AND THE STOUT GENTLEMAN

Looking back at S1, I think Toby's episode sticks out the most out of all the episodes from this season. To me, he has the most tragic story. He was a kind tram engine who was serving a rural area but new tech was coming and people were beginning to drive cars, deliver goods by lorries and passengers by buses and Toby was just forgotten and abandoned which made him depressed, which makes it more sad if you understand the context behind the story. At the time in the 1950's, motor transport was becoming cheaper and quicker and it was very stylish and modern compare to the old steam engines. You can't help but feel sorry for the poor engine that his time was up. If there's one little bit of criticism I'll give, it's the reveal of the Fat Controller. I wished they had kept it more ambiguous with hints on who it is through the ditty that was played when he first came to Toby's line. It would've add some sense of mystery. But other than that this episode really stood out.

Rating: 10/10

THOMAS IN TROUBLE

I think this episode could've merged with the previous episode since they have more relevancy than 'Whistle and Sneezes'. But despite that the episode itself was alright. This might come off as a nitpick but I don't see the point of adding Annie and Clarabel to Thomas' train of trucks when in the original story it was never shown like that. But in the end the episode was still good and it served as a nice happy ending for Toby.

Rating: 8/10

DIRTY OBJECTS

Another what goes around comes around story. I always like the dynamic of James and Toby together and it shows. Plus it's another example of engines not getting along with each other, like real life. The story was simple but it was good nonetheless with a message.

Rating: 8/10

OFF THE RAILS

I think this and 'Down The Mine' could've also worked as a story merger since they are both connected with the same subject matter. I also wish that they had kept the other stories from Gordon for the first season as well. I'm sure they would've worked well within whatever the budget was for the first season. As for the episode, it was another good story and I don't really have anything else to add.

Rating: 7/10

DOWN THE MINE

I really like Thomas' personality here. Although he's the main character of the show he's not this perfect good guy character but just this cheeky and immature engine who is also a nice one as well, complex but something that most kids are in real life. I just think it's a bit sad that some parents don't want their kids to watch a show who has a brattish and immature character but of course I understand they don't want their kids to be a bad influence as they grow up but that's not TV's job. Anyway this is one of my favourite adaptations and like I said earlier I feel they could've merged this with 'Off The Rails'.

Rating: 9/10

THOMAS' CHRISTMAS PARTY

I honestly much prefer the book version of this story. It felt probably paced compare to the episode. Not that I am saying that this episode was bad or anything, far from it. But the episode just felt a little bit rushed, patriculary with the rescue operation. Like while the engines were excited at the sheds, apparently a snow storm happened because...just because. I think if the broadcaster ITV were kind enough they could've used this story as maybe a TV special for Christmas. However despite that I still like the outcome of the story and how it served as the finale of the first season.

Rating: 7/10

SERIES OVERALL

To be honest, it was hard to review some of these episodes with something constructive. There was nothing wrong or bad with S1 and it had minimal problems, while I agree that nothing is perfect. Most of the stories are great and the characters are all so engaging and relatable. I remember hearing people on social media saying that the first season was boring for a while and I can only scratch my head because I don't understand how season one is boring? Sure there's not enough action like you see in S5 but here's the thing, it's not trying to be all wacky or over the top with crashes, explosions and dangerous moments like the fifth season and beyond. The stories in the first season are calm, simple and relaxing. I guess this season comes as near perfection.

I think there are some bit of criticism I'll give to the first season such as Ringo Starr's narration. While it was definitely calming especially for the atmosphere of Thomas, it did come as something quite bland. His voice in some episodes came off as sounding tired and bored but there are times he had tried to put a bit more excitement into his voice. So I'll give him some credit for trying. And I also had mentioned that some story mergers do come off as good but some came off as unnecessary because of their relevancy. I think the episode had expanded to maybe four or five episodes more, we could've seen more space and less of the mergers. Plus it might've add more space for the other seasons when it comes to the adaptations of the Railway Series.



OVERALL RATING
227/260